Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Foray into 4G

I traded in my 3G USB modem that I use for internet access for a 4G mobile hotspot. The speed difference is quite noticeable. I went from about 700 kbps/400 kbps (down/up) to 5 Mbps/1.5 Mbps. I'm right on the edge of the 4G coverage area but so far I've only seen it drop down to 3G briefly a couple of times.

This change required me to rethink my network layout. With the 3G modem, I had all of my devices connected to my wireless router. I then used the wireless connection on my laptop as the shared connection from the router to the 3G modem. So, can I connect my router to the hotspot? No, at least not running the factory firmware. Enter dd-wrt.

Dd-wrt is firmware that can be flashed onto some routers and opens up functions that are disabled by the factory firmware. I read that dd-wrt can be used in client mode, in which it can connect to another access point like any other wireless device. I have a D-Link DIR-615 Rev C router for which there is a version of dd-wrt, so I thought I would give it a try.

I flashed my router with dd-wrt (that little adventure might be another blog post) and set up client mode. The router is still running DHCP to serve IP addresses to my wired devices. And as expected, it connects to the hotspot just like any other wireless device.

So far client mode is working like a charm and 4G life is great. I still don't see a need for a 4G phone, but for my primary internet access it is definitely an improvement. Dd-wrt is a great project. Check it out if you want to unleash your router's full potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment